Monday, February 7, 2011

A Superbowl Detour

Yes, I know that today was the big day. Over-hyped, and thus deeply seeped into the public imagination. The game to end all game, the unveiling, Armaggeddon on the grid iron, the ocassion in which millions of pounds of chips, salsa, artery-clogging dips and assorted fatty meat products are consumed while people lounge around in sofas, chairs and on carpets. Ironically enough, the spectacle of physical inactivity (except for the mammoth feats of digestion) take place while watching the heroic exploits of fit athletes who scramble around madly, dashing around and leaping over tall tackles. The crunch of a hit as a quarterback is sacked is mimicked by the crunch of a Dorito from a millions who lie huddled in front of their television sets. I wasn't looking forward to this at all.

Somehow, under one or other pretext, I managed to slip away that morning to make a trip to a museum in Orange County. I wanted to see something that was much more engaging for me, in this case, a cultural festival. It was to be my haven from the Super Bowl, and I was all the more adamant in attending because I had unfortunately missed the festivities in Chinatown on Saturday.Yes, this festival was to celebrate the Chinese New Year, the "Year of the Rabbit".

I couldn't help but notice that traffic was very light, both in the city as well as the freeways. This couldn't help but strike me as eerie, and made me shudder at the way in which the collective psyche of Americans has been penetrated by this Super Bowl madness. The lack of traffic was a big relief because it meant for once that I wouldn't have to put up with heart-pounding stress on the roads, and I tried to keep my attention on the exit ramps.

After stopping for gas, I was entering the highway again and I couldn't help but look up at the green canyons near my city. Those canyons seemed to look very inviting, and I couldn't desist from taking a photo, despite the injunction not to do so while driving. The fact is, the landscape is being altered irrevocably, and what used to look pristine has been modified by developers along long stretches of our region. Facing these canyons are small hills that used to present a beautiful vista, however now they have been graded and have long since been defaced with the construction of endless tracks of housing. Their view might be very beautiful, but they present an eyesore for me, and I fear it is only a matter of time before suitable tracks along these canyons are similarly scarred. The housing market has been in a depression for the past few years, but it is only a matter of time before it recovers and continues to level our landscapes.


When I arrived at my destination I was encouraged by the large streams of people entering the museum. I've been attending festivals here for years, and this was a good sign. It attested to the fact that I was not alone, and that there were many other people who were not under the trance of overblown sporting events.

I hurried to find parking because I heard the announcer on the amplified microphone that could be heard plainly from the outside that they needed more room for the lion dancers. The event was about to begin at any minute, and I needed to hurry in. Parking was a little difficult, however. The area surrounding the museum is a densely-packed residential area with many apartments, so not only did I have to wait for a space to open, but given my difficult parallel-parking, it took some time.

After a slight delay, the festival began. It is always invigorating for me to see examples of our region's cultural diversity, and there was a wide cross-section of people. And, as always, the museum and their volunteers are wonderful and generous hosts.



There was a wonderful variety of entertainment. It started with a vigorous lion dance, and then it proceeded to a performance of a more serene and contemplative nature, a musical presentation by a community arts group, a Chinese orchestra from the San Gabriel Valley. They played authentic Chinese music with authentic aplomb, if I may say so, and I loved the way performers of all ages were integrated. (They are the String and Bamboo Orchestra).

Afterward, the program proceeded with diversion of a different sort. This was an explanation of the Chinese Tea ceremony, and they brought out a table with utensils and assorted decorations and proceeded to demonstrate. This was a slower presentation, and I noticed that the many kids grew restless, but I enjoyed. it. What a counterpoint to the frenetic dance of the lions!


The emphasis was placed on the steps involved in a proper tea ceremony. It was refreshing.



And yes, there was a very attractive presenter!

Next, as a natural counterpoint to the serenity of the tea ceremony came the Chinese drummers. They were an ebullient group, and very dynamic. This is always an invigorating exercise! For the performers, of course. Also, notice that many of ther performers are older. As I grow older myself, I have begun to truly appreciate that.




After a short program, we were invited into the museum to see the second part of the festival. It was a wonderful idea, and I imagine it was done in order to invite the spectators to take the next step to explore the collections housed within. It seems as if these festivals atrract many people, but the majority never venture inside the building, and only stay out in the open area, which defeats the purpose of publicizing the museum's collection and current exhibits.

Inside, I continued taking photos. Ordinarily I don't take photos within a museum, and have seen docents at other institutions request that people not do so as well. These exhibits, however, were not paintings, sensitive as they are to light levels and to the injurious effects of a flash. And, the staff allowed us to take photos. I looked around and noticed that that digital cameras were out in force. Here are some photos of the exhibit, "Spirits of the Headhunters", incorporating art from New Guinea.


More items from this collection. The following is a beautiful carved vessel. I seem to recall it was labeled as a canoe, but I don't see where the passenger would fit.


As I wondered around I couldn't help but take a few crowd shots. Exhausted festival-goers resting, waiting for the performances to begin. The artwork around them is from an exhibit of carved wooden cornices from ancient China.


The crowd was slowly growing as we waited for the groups who we could see gathered around the stage.



And, I couldn't help but admire the beauty of the wood carvings. I took many photos.






And, at the end, I returned to the exhibit of art from New Guinea for a last photo. The festival resumed shortly thereafter, and I was entranced with aboriginal dances from Taiwan and a few Tai Chi routines.


Unfortunately, I left early. Although I enjoyed myself at the festival, I was committed to attending my brother's Super Bowl party, and it was almost 3 p.m. Yes, the madness would lay claim to me after all, but I had to go in the interest of family unity.

I'm looking forward to other festivals this year, here and elsewhere. There are many cultural as well as natural treasures in California.

Happy Year of the Rabbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment