Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Frosty California Day

Today I went to a local community parade. I had no other plans for an outing today, and I didn't want to spend it at home, where I knew I would spend the day trying to avoid looking at the materials I had to grade for my classes. Given that it had rained for much of the night, and more rain was predicted for this afternoon, I thought it was best to take advantage of the brief window of opportunity to go out and get some air. And so, I ventured out to a local community nestled next to the San Gabriel mountains.

It was very chilly, and this understandably cut into the attendance for the event. I've been to this particular festival several times, starting back in 1990, when I felt reasonably young and energetic. My energy and my self-image are not what they were before, but I can still appreciate elements of beauty, such as the layer of snow that was left on the mountain, and the spectre of gloomy and threatening clouds that was afforded to us in this location. It threated to rain again, but fortunately, it didn't.



This was an ordinary community parade, with many community units ranging from the mayor and beauty queens to local bands. It was my impression that the turnout suffered noticeably. This used to be a much bigger event but, then again, when I had attended it in the past, it usually too place on a sunny day. The first video is of a drum major for a marching band practicing her pacing in front of the review stand.













I couldn't resist taking photos and videos of the cloudscapes. It is such a change of pace to have such moody, dramatic weather. The wide, expansive cloudscapes made me feel as if I were in the Midwest once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment