Saturday, February 12, 2011

Downtown Saturday

It was an unseasonably warm day today. While still comfortable, it was nonetheless unusual, and made me reconsider my plans. Instead of heading out to the coast, where I was bound to encounter traffic bottlenecks as hundreds of thousands of drivers followed the same impulse, I decided to stay closer to home. Instead of reading Faulker's "The Sound and the Fury", I opted instead to to avoid both eponymous elements (sound and fury) and look for a quiet retreat. This was offered by the prospect of visiting Riverside, the sleepy city which is home to our local UC and is nominally the headquarters of our sprawling county.

Traffic was light, and I had a chance to visit one of my favorite bookstores. Without naming it, I will say that the owner is an irascible gentleman who is consumed by details, and always sounds a little exasperated by my requests. Are they that esoteric? Perhaps they are.

After leaving this area and driving by RCC, a college that offered me a temporary teaching job back in 2005 which I ended up turning down, I arrived in the downtown area. Having lived in Riverside for the past few years, I have had a chance to explore this facility and have enjoyed it. The library is modest in size, but it serves a vital need. Here is the building:


I try to be charitable, but I can't help but view the workers as somewhat unfriendly. I wish it weren't so. The library is located in the middle of a normally bustling area, next door to the prime tourist attraction of Riverside (which will be described shortly) and to the county courthouse. It also is located next to a small museum.

While walking to adjoining areas I couldn't help notice that spring seems to be in the air. The rest of the country may find itself in a continued deep-freeze, the trees in this area are already sprouting exhuberant new growth. There are many flowers in bloom, and they were enchanting to see.




I also had to take a few photos of the Chinese pavilion. I don't remember this building when I was a young man in the 70s and 80s, but it is a beautiful structure. We used to be able to venture into it, but it has been off-limits for a few years now. I suppose this may be because of damage inflicted by unthinking visitors. It is in pristine condition now.


There is also a wonderful sundial installation next to the pavilion. It is a beautiful work of art, and couldn't have accorded better with the weather.


And here are a few photos of the famous Riverside Mission, the city's outstanding cultural landmark:








As I continued my walk I found that there was a Black History Festival nearby, and I was able to enjoy a few hours of this event. It was an enjoyable festival, and it brought to mind that we need to hold on to our memories. The civil rights movement is an ongoing concern, and much work needs to be done.









All in all, it was an enjoyable afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment